Here are some reasons that point to the plan being a bad idea:
- Plastic bags are not a significant source of waste.
- Banning plastic bags will eliminate (bag-making) jobs.
- Other plastics are not being addressed: bottles, dry cleaning bags, utensils.
- Paper bags will take the place of plastic bags.
- Reusable bags enable shoplifting.
- Reusable bags harbour bacteria.
- Lawsuits will result to challenge bag bans.
- Bag bans result in stores laying off employees.
- Tote bags will be a cost to the public.
- Plastic bags are utilized again after their initial use.
An opinion piece that relies on "anecdotal evidence" goes over the cons of plastic bag bans. The piece was sent in to the LaSanbe news world headquarters by the reader opposed to the local ban.
Here's a shot of some of my reusable grocery bags. I've used them for a while now.
I have more at work, and some at my mom's house. (I buy groceries for her)