In 2014, when a wave of immigrants from Central America were coming to this country, the federal government was having trouble handling the overflow. A lot of unaccompanied minors were part of the large influx of people. Detention centers in south Texas were crowded. The problem seemed untenable. Henry Cuellar said this about the Obama administration:
The problem with the administration is they don't want to give information, he said. In fact, there's times when they don't want to give information to members of Congress. It's almost like they don't want the American public to know about the situation.
The way I remember it from 2014, our local leaders didn't want to lift a finger to help the incoming immigrants. And Henry Cuellar's only concern was how to deport these people back as soon as possible.
Immigrants are still coming to the United States, but team Trump is doing something severely egregious: he's separating the children from their parents. As I type this, MSNBC is reporting that the "Trumps administration is housing hundreds of babies and toddlers in at least 3 facilities in south Texas."
Far from showing any sign of outrage now, Henry Cuellar is instead smugly pointing to how he showed us proof of this back in 2014.
Cuellar has the gall to downplay the current humanitarian crisis and not challenge the evil actions of Donald Trump and his minions.
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Sunday, June 3, 2018
Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day, signaled the start of the races for the upcoming elections in November. Mayor Pete Saenz held a press conference, with crooked mustache and all, to announce his re-election bid. Not to be outdone, greasy-haired challenger Charlie San Miguel is doing things a little more adventurous.
San Miguel is again hosting his Meh*Run at North Central Park, but he's apparently sky diving into the event, all while having a boner for military veterans. This guy, or the mayor for that matter, looks like he can't do much in regards to physical activity, so he'll fall from the sky instead.
Charlie will be vacating his District 6 seat in the fall. Word on the street is that there may be up to 12 candidates vying for his chair. One will definitely have to do something wild to separate him/herself from the pack. La Sanbe does not recommend sky diving.
Sunday, May 20, 2018
Monday, May 7, 2018
At least one runoff candidate has dropped by the Keyrose compound to remind us of the looming election, later this month. His message straight and up front: Stop the corruption and nepotism. Exclamation point.
Over the weekend, approximately 900 voters approved the LISD bond measure, which will allow improvements to existing schools and enable the district to build a new Cigarroa Middle School campus. Ya veremos.
And the field is getting crowded for the spots that will open up at city hall this fall. People are already starting to file their paperwork for-to get a chance at Charlie San Miguel's, and Alex Perez's (a La Sanbe favorite) seat. Let's not forget that a certain FB celebrity is vying for the mayor's office.
Friday, April 20, 2018
(If you follow me on FB, you've probably already read this. It was posted April 17, 2018.)
Four years ago, then-Council Member Cindy Liendo stepped down to run for mayor. She had represented District 8 for six years. She was unsuccessful in her bid. In 2016, Esteban Rangel stepped down as council member to run for county commissioner against Jesse Gonzalez. Rangel unfortunately lost his bid too. When I asked if Council Member Alex Perez would step down last month to run for county commissioner, I was met with bewilderment, as if I had asked something that was totally unheard of.
Perez never hinted at the possibility of giving up his council seat to seek a different office. Given the current problem he’s facing, perhaps his withdrawal from city hall in March would’ve been the most prudent. An ominous cloud, a moral turpitude shadow, if you will, will hover over Perez until his second term ends later this year: He now faces an ethics probe, courtesy of city council, and a possible civil suit from a local businessman.
Alex Perez is being accused of orchestrating a heavy-handed inspection of a business on Clark Blvd. The proprietor of that establishment alleges that this was the result from him refusing to put up Perez’s campaign signs. Perez apparently saw red when the businessman didn’t comply with his wishes. The gentleman at the receiving end of Perez’s unpleasantness filed a complaint with police; A shrewd move on his part. The business owner was cited for a couple of minor infractions. He, however, categorized the occurrence as a raid and as retaliation by Mr. Perez for not offering his political support.
It was discovered at last night’s council meeting that Council Member Alex Perez directed the Executive Director of Public Services to investigate the conditions at the business on Clark. It was previously mentioned that the inspection was hastened by an anonymous call. All signs point to an abuse of power on Perez’s part. The timing of the incidents, the fact that the business is not even located in Perez’s district, and his absence from council meetings all suggest a, oh...how you say, clusterfuk.
Mr. Perez was not present during council proceedings yesterday. Big surprise. He can’t hide forever. Unless he resigns, this problem will plague him until he terms out.
Political pettiness aside, Perez’s command to Mr. Executive Director of Public Services doesn’t fall into uncharted waters. Council Member Charlie San Miguel was chastised by former City Manager Carlos Villarreal for taking mud run proceeds home. He apparently interfered with city administrators the day of the race. When Jorge Vera was busted for alleged drug use at a local bar, he tried to get out of his predicament that night by contacting and urging a police supervisor to look into his matter. Again, interfering with administration. Vera’s wasn’t so lucky in the end. He was recalled from office.
And now we have Perez, an impulsive bully who apparently has no political acumen after being on council for more than 7 years. It appears he doesn’t know, or doesn’t care that a council member is supposed to run things by the city manager’s office if he/she wants anything done. You don’t take matters into your own hands, especially in the reckless manner that he did. He led the raid on a local business and now he’s facing the consequences, sort of.
City council has opted to send the problem to the ethics commission. I didn’t know we still had one. They are as predictable and impotent as ever. But perhaps it’s for the better. If they chose to judge one of their own, and possibly oust the motherfucker, it would tear apart the already-divided council even more. It’s best, I guess, to let Perez sink into the hole he’s dug for himself.